New Book

New Book
Grandma's Purse

Tuesday, September 16, 2014


Hello Bloggers, I wanted to share with you a new book that I am working on. It's the story of Harriet Powers the famous quilter. Harriet was a slave, but she became famous by creating her storybook quilts that hang in museums today. The book is called, "Sewing Stories". This is the opening illustration for the story. Harriet is laid on handmade quilt by her mother in between the rows of a corn field. I can only images what her mother was feeling. Having to lay her baby down in a field with snakes and bugs while she picked corn and cotton. Unnerving to say the very least. Here are just a few of Harriet's fine quilts.

8 comments:

Melissa Saylor said...

Wonderful! I love the corn in the foreground. It really leads your eye into the illustration.
Thanks Vanessa, for coming over to visit my blog and for the the nice comment. I think you might be the only one who looks at my blog. He he he.

Thoughts for the day said...

Oh I cannot wait to see it. Love your art work... and your stories.

Shell said...

I always love your illustrations. This books looks like it's going to be awesome. I can't imagine having to put your baby in the grass while you have to work in the fields.

Lisa M Griffin said...

So sweet! What a lovely and charming composition. Congrat's on this wonderful new picture book. ((Hugs))

Lynn Alpert said...

Love this piece, and thanks for sharing her quilts - they are gorgeous!

theartofpuro said...

Wonderful illustrations :) Congrats for the new book :)

Susan Reagan said...

This painting is so beautiful Vanessa! I just love it!

Unknown said...

amazing illustration and so very educational, depicted in a warm way.
I can't wait to see your new book. x